LANI’S READING LIST
Lani Ito, the heroine of THE PARTNERSHIP (Extra Credit #1), is a voracious reader and a gifted writer of dance criticism…. Here are ten of her favorite books! Click here to download a PDF version. Enjoy!
- Zora Neale Hurston’s Their Eyes Were Watching Godis an amazing coming of age story that meant a lot to Lani.
- Natalie Goldberg’s Writing Down the Bonesoffers great strategies for dealing with writer’s block.
- The Pocket Pena Chodron--because Buddhist nuns know how to stay calm.
- Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre, where the pushover pushes back!
- F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Great Gatsbyfor the sheer beauty of the prose, and because the movie is gorgeous too.
- The Grand Sophyby Georgette Heyer is a classic romance with another irresistible cranky hero… (and it’s even on Kindle Unlimited!).
- To learn the craft of arts criticism you can’t do better than Pauline Kael, who makes it okay to have (and defend) a strong opinion.
- For ballet buffs and New Yorkers,George Balanchineand his New York City Ballet set a high bar(re!).
- Lani is right: Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One’s Ownis a classic AND a short easy read.
- And finally, spoiler alert! By the end of the series Lani will make use of Molly Bloom’s famous last words in James Joyce’s Ulysses… wait and see!